The Australian real estate market experienced a record year in 2021, with tight supply and strong demand leading to soaring prices.
Agents, vendors and buyers innovated through COVID-19 restrictions, including lengthy lockdowns in Melbourne and Sydney.
There were numerous mergers, acquisitions and buyouts, along with notable appointments and some surprising departures.
Once again, AREC thrilled and inspired, while the AREAs awarded and rewarded the best in the industry.
As always, there was never a dull moment, but we’ve compiled a list of some of the top real estate news stories in 2021.
- The RBA tips property prices could increase by 30 per cent in as little as three years.
- The first Transform of 2021 kicks off.
- REIA calls for the removal of all rental eviction moratoriums.
- Leanne Pilkington and some of her leadership team make an offer to buy back Laing & Simmons.
- James Bell is promoted to Chief Executive Officer of C21.
- Barry Plant Group’s Chari Emirzade clocks up 1000 sales.
- The rise in Airbnb listings in regional areas presents a catch-22 when it comes to Australia’s rental crisis.
- McGrath announces its first dividend since 2017.
- The 2021 AREA winners are announced with DiJones taking out Agency of the Year, and Laura Valenti named Most Influential Woman in the Property Market.
- The national preliminary auction clearance rate hits 84.4 per cent on Super Saturday.
- Experts tip the city exodus to the country might be permanent.
- One in five Melbourne homes sells for above list price, underquoting is blamed.
- RE/MAX Don Ha’s team wins three big awards.
- Nigel O’Neil becomes CEO of Barry Plant.
- Geoff Lucas becomes CEO of The Agency.
- Heidi Howe is crowned the winner of Elite Agent’s Transform 2021.
- Rental market rebounds with prices in all capitals but Melbourne, Perth and Darwin hitting a record high.
- Metro Melbourne median house price passes $1 million.
- CBA hires hundreds to speed up loan approvals.
- Australian dwelling values enjoy their highest month of growth in 30 years.
- Elite Agent launches Sales Caffeine – a coaching program for sales agents.
- New tenants move into Netherlands first 3D printed house.
- Federal budget is released with Treasurer Josh Frydenberg noting “home ownership will always be supported“.
- Openn Negotiation announces its intention to go public later in the year.
- Jellis Craig acquires the Greg Hocking group.
- All of the agents on Gavin Rubinstein’s TRG team hit Ray White Elite level.
- James Patterson takes on the role of Knight Frank CEO.
- AREC 2021 takes place on the Gold Coast:
- New home loan commitments hit record highs.
- Daniel Hayes almost makes it to the finals of Big Brother.
- Market Buy and Podium join forces.
- Elite Agent releases its habits of top performers.
- Tony Pickering of KG Young and Associates in Darwin receives the REIA Presidents award after 50 years of dedicated service to the industry.
- REA Group completes its acquisition of Mortgage Choice.
- Rental vacancy rates hit the lowest point Domain has recorded.
- Luxe Listings Sydney starts screening on Amazon.
- Brian White’s family home sells for $10 million.
- Century 21 celebrates its 50th anniversary.
- Elite Agent launches The Exec BDM – a coaching program for BDMs.
- Australian dwelling sales far exceed new listings.
- The Federal Government announces an inquiry into housing affordability and supply.
- McGrath announces an enormous $18.3 million turnaround for the financial year.
- Agencies start tackling the vaccination debate.
- Commbank buddies up with Different.
- Propy auctions an apartment in the Ukraine as an NFT.
- REA Insights reveals email inquiries and buyer demand are at an all-time high.
- Median house prices over $1 million become the norm for many inner city regions.
- Knight Frank ranks Australia seventh highest when it comes to property price growth globally.
- LJ Hooker turns 93.
- APRA tightens lending criteria.
- The national rental vacancy rate hits a very tight 1.7 per cent.
- The High Court dismisses an agent’s final appeal over restraint of trade and confidential company information.
- The Australian housing market surpasses $9.1 trillion.
- Record investment in industrial and logistics real estate continues.
- Unit asking rents climb for the first time since the start of the pandemic in Sydney and Melbourne.
- Toorak mega-mansion sets national auction record, selling for $44 million.
- Listing volumes surge to a record high.
- Adrian Knowles moves into the CEO role at Harcourts.
- Danny Hayes heads back into the Big Brother house.
- Former Domain Chief Commercial Officer, Tony Blamey joins the team at Different as Chief Revenue Officer.
- Gunther the German shepherd takes his Miami villa to market for US$31.75 million.
- CoreLogic acquires AiRE.
- Mark McLeod becomes the Ray White Group’s new Chief Strategy Officer of Real Estate.
- Biggest auction week on record when 4261 properties go under the hammer.
- Elite Agent announces Zoomathon for 23 and 24 Feb, 2022, a world record zoom in partnership with Digital Live and Hands across the Water.
- Digital investor, Republic Realm, paid $4.3 million for a virtual allotment in The Sandbox metaverse.
- Quentin Kilian leaves post as the CEO of the REINT to succeed his counterpart Gil King at the REIV.
- Domain releases its End of Year Wrap showing 446,800 houses and 144,500 units sold this year.
- Best Nest Property Management Director Alison Hatch wins Transform XII.
- The auction market surpasses its previous record with almost 5000 properties going under the hammer.
- Hayden Groves succeeds Adrian Kelly as president of the REIA
- Elite Agent releases an App for readers, coaching students, CPD and more free download at https://eliteagent.app.