At the best of times, it can be a challenge to find and hire the right people in real estate.
But right now, unemployment’s at a 40-year low and there’s a ‘great resignation’ under way as people re-evaluate their lifestyle in the wake of a global pandemic.
So how can real estate leaders navigate the hiring challenge?
Recruitment expert Jade Green says you’ve got to stop believing that posting an ad is enough to make great talent come to you.
Instead, you need to look at hiring like marketing, where the focus is building a great brand presence, meeting candidates where they are, and really considering what’s in it for them.
In this episode of the Elevate podcast with Elite Agent Managing Editor Samantha McLean, Jade takes a deep dive into how to attract and hire heroes then retain them.
She looks at the dos and don’ts of job advertising, and what your business needs to have in place behind the scenes in a digital era where candidates proactively research your organisation, its culture, and its people.
Jade also offers an insight into what she would do right now if she were seeking a job and tackles the topic of how to recruit the top talent, who already have a job and also have an array of employment options.
In a no-nonsense masterclass that gets to the heart of recruitment strategy, she also shares the key questions to ask in interviews to cut through the noise and really find out what makes people tick.
There’s also an insight into how leaders can work on and improve themselves to be the type of person people want to work with.
“The very best recruiters are expert marketers and superior salespeople. You want to think about exactly the way you acquire a lead is how you want to acquire your talent. So you want to create, like a customer journey, a candidate journey,” – Jade Green.
Samantha and Jade also discuss:
- What employees are looking for right now and why businesses need to drop the ego and realise it’s not about pay.
- How recruitment and hiring is like sales where you’ve got to demonstrate enough job value that people will give you their most precious asset – their time.
- Why you need to build a great employer brand that attracts people to work with you and how that’s done.
- How to make the most of your job advertisements and why there’s a big difference between posting a job and creating an effective campaign.
- The ways to make your job ad stand out from the crowd and why it’s all about considering what’s in it for the candidate.
- Why you need to define your ideal candidate first and nurture prospective candidates through the hiring sequence.
- How to find and secure great talent who might currently be working for someone else.
- The key questions to ask in a job interview to get past the usual answers and really find out what makes someone tick.
- Where leaders should start when it comes to creating the type of organisation people want to work for and how you can showcase that to best effect.
And much, much more…
Links and resources mentioned
- Dare to lead – Brené Brown
- Atomic Habits – James Clear
- The Art of Impossible – Steven Kotler
- Gary Vee
- Simon Sinek
- High-performing foundations: Marianne Hynes on psychological safety and how to unlock your team’s full potential by eliminating interpersonal risk
Connect with Jade