Last Saturday we kicked off the year from a sales perspective with Coach Claudio Encina. Today we look at the PM/Leadership angle with one of our favourite industry experts, Hannah Gill.
As the MD of one of Australia’s largest rent rolls at Independent with a team of 60 staff, Hannah has been at the forefront of change and innovation in property management for many years. She is also one half consulting firm Gill + Hooper, who are our Street MBA tour directors.
In this podcast, Hannah and I talk all things property management including people, culture, rent roll growth and profitability.
Some of the topics we discussed include:
- The changing expectations of staff and clients in property management and how to deal with those
- Where to find new landlords and how to make the BD process more efficient
- The issue of training with tight budgets
- A huge shift in PM – Hannah says there is a new entrepreneurial spirit gaining traction in the industry which Hannah says is really exciting
- Growth – the different strategies for ‘more doors’ or ‘more value per door’
- PM Technology ‘stacks’ – the simple way to understand your tech cost ‘per property’ and profitability
- The concept of change fatigue and why it could be a real problem for your team
- Balancing automation, the human touch, and outsourcing
- What to do before outsourcing ‘ low-value tasks’
- Hannah’s approach to efficient 1:1s and motivating her team
- Why Hannah is not a fan of email for relationship building!
- Developing staff and keeping them engaged in the business (rather than leaving!)
- Hannah’s culture playbook and how that creates leaders amongst the whole team.
Plus much much more!
Connect with Hannah Gill
Links and Resources Mentioned
- Street MBA – Book tickets
- Takeaways from Street MBA Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane
- Hannah Gill – EPM cover story- Beyond Business Development
- Richard Koch – “Action drives out thought’
- Brene Brown – Daring Greatly
- Simon Sinek – The Infinite Game