1. Sometimes bad stuff happens. If you can’t control it, don’t obsess about it. Find the useful belief in it. This includes the market you are in. No matter what, there are opportunities everywhere. Go find them.
2. Good stuff also happens. Be grateful. Gratitude is the key to being connected to your life. You have the ability to make an impact on other people and make a difference in their day.
3. You’re never as good as you think. Stay open to learning, improvement and getting better. What are you going to get better at this year?
4. You are never as bad as you think. You are not alone. Find some people who do real estate the way you want to do it. There are many ways to be successful at this business. Be congruent with your business and yourself. It is such a great feeling when you and your business are aligned in terms of values.
5. The truth is that some days you have to do stuff you hate. Find a useful belief and get on with it. Hard work is still the answer to the question.
6. Stop feeling guilty about everything. You can’t be perfect. Agents are trying to be the perfect mother, father, partner, employee and stay fit and never age. It’s not about being perfect. Trying to be perfect is not useful; it makes you feel bad about yourself. Have a plan and do the best you can every day. Remember, perfection gets in the way of an outstanding life.
7. Make sure you are not blaming others for things that are not working in your life. Take responsibility.
8. Understand that what the mind harbours, the body will manifest. That means if you change the way you move, then you change the way you think. There is a way successful people move. Improve your posture.
9. Smile. Every communication study says the same thing. When you smile at someone, it makes them feel good about themselves. Think about that: you have the power to make every vendor and buyer feel good about themselves. To not smile is a selfish act.
You have the power to make every vendor and buyer feel good about themselves.
10. Eyes are the windows to the soul. Be present and look at people.
11. Eliminate distractions. Identify the five things that hold you back on a daily basis and make a plan to solve them.
12. This is the best time in the history of the world to be alive.
13. This is the best time in the history of the world to be in real estate at your company in your market.
14. Energy is a decision. You can have as much energy as you want. Most people are tired. The quickest way to separate yourself from the competition is to out-energise them. Have more energy than everybody else.
15. Have a sense of humour about your life. It’s time in real estate to drop the ego and be authentic. Vendors and buyers are too smart today to put up with your ego. Be genuine.
16. Identify what gets results in your life and do more of it. This is called ‘coding success’. When do you get the greatest results? Replicate that.
17. Don’t underestimate the impact you can make with acts of kindness. You can change the trajectory of your business.
Trying to be perfect makes you feel bad about yourself. Have a plan and do the best you can every day.
18. Eat well. Exercise. Laugh.
19. Jealousy is a waste of time. People will do and think what they want. Try to avoid comparing yourself to others; run your own race. You can’t control what others think of you. The only thing that you can control is your output.
20. Finally, take action. The thing that separates people who have an outstanding quality of life from those who don’t is their ability to take action. Go make your life the daring adventure you want it to be.