John Foong has plenty of insights into how great leaders operate, having held senior positions at some of the world’s most high-profile companies including Uber and Google.
Now focused on real estate as Domain’s Chief Revenue Officer, John has set about building a team that will drive the company forward.
In this Leadership Diaries episode of the Elevate podcast with Elite Agent Managing Director Samantha McLean, John reveals how he’s been able to step into a C-level position and how he’s learning to be a “hands-off leader”.
John discusses how he empowers his team to make decisions and why he wants people around him who “want his job”, as well as the key thing he’s waiting for that will give the property market a boost.
He also talks about managing family life while working in a senior position and the way he structures his work day for optimal performance and to make sure he’s concentrating his attention in the right places.
“There comes a point where great folks need to have the space to grow because they’re pushing, they want to become you, they want to become the CEO and that’s exactly the kind of people I need to work for me.” – John Foong
Samantha and John also discuss:
- 3:28 – The key thing John is waiting for that should bring back transaction volumes and what 2023 will has in store for real estate.
- 7:18 – How to solve the rental crisis and the two measures that can be put in place that would immediately help increase supply.
- 11:57 – The impact of ChatGPT and how it could increase top agents’ GCI.
- 21:01 – Why the most valuable commodity is attention and why multitasking is a myth.
- 21:21 – The two things John does every day to hone his focus and become more productive.
- 25:52 – The best way to lead a team of high performers and how to give them the space and opportunity to bring their skills to the forefront.
- 28:34 – The criteria John uses to hire elite talent that also enables interviewees to determine if they are a good fit for the job.
- 31:19 – The most effective way of managing your work/life balance and how to use a spreadsheet to make your life easier.