At the age of 28, Tom Hector is already a veteran in the industry.
He got his big break when he was still a teenager, winning the 2008 South Australian Auction Idol competition, and has never looked back.
Having pressed pause on the plumbing apprenticeship he took up after leaving year 12, his success in the industry means he is unlikely to go back any time soon.
This financial year to date he had sold 207 properties.
Having just stepped on to the AREC stage this year he told the audience, “If you have lots of volume but not the skill to back it up, you won’t get repeat business. If you have great skill but not volume, that business is not sustainable.”
In this episode of the podcast, you’ll discover Tom’s tactics for building a sustainable business that scales.
But you’ll discover them through the eyes of a couple of young agents – Adam Bryant and Bobby Reynolds from Agency Central. We handed them the interviewers mics for the podcast for both this week’s episode (and also next week’s with Alex Mintorn of McGrath).
“I’m extremely process driven because when you’re selling a large number of properties – whether you like it or not – you have to be process driven.
If you’re not – things are definitely going to go wrong and when you’re conducting 15/20/25 open for inspections on a Saturday, you just have to move that stock.
Because – if it goes ‘dead’ after 30 or 45 days, the vendors start to dislike you, they start to want to go to a different agent or they start blaming you – that you’re the problem – and not the price.”
– Tom Hector
Want more from this episode?
Get access to the full episode guide, quick video tips, tools and more by joining our community or becoming a subscriber
Some topics discussed include:
- Why we gave up the host mics for the podcast at AREC 2019
- Process driven agents vs more ‘flexible’ approaches – and why they can both work
- How Adam and Bobby got to James Clear when no-one else could
- Barbara Corcoran’s two key questions to hiring the right agents for your team (awesome tip!)
- If you want to get a crazy amount of sales you have to do crazy things
- How Tom Hector manages his time and how the team is structured
- Setting yourself up for the next day – it needs to happen the night before
- How to become a household name in your suburb, dominating the market
- The problem with volume and how to solve it through scaling your team.
Guest Hosts: Adam Bryant and Bobby Reynolds
Podcast Guest: Tom Hector, Harris Real Estate
References & links mentioned:
- The ‘Insta’ takeover
- James Clear: Atomic Habits
- Infrared Saunas
- Ben Greenfield Podcast
- Scaling up by Verne Harnish
Note: Our first Street MBA tour includes a visit to Harris Real Estate in Adelaide – for more information and to book tickets click here.
Subscribe and Review The Elevate Podcast
Thanks for tuning in to this week’s episode of the Elevate Podcast! If the information shared in these weekly conversations and interviews have helped you in your business journey, please head over to iTunes, subscribe to the show, and leave us an honest review. Your reviews and feedback will not only help us continue to deliver great, helpful content, but it will also allow us to help even more business owners and real estate professionals just like you!