Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 40:33 — 32.7MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Spotify | RSS | Subscribe to Elite Agent
Want more from this episode?
Get access to the full episode guide, quick video tips, tools and more by joining our community or becoming a subscriber
Wayne Marriott isn’t just fast on his feet, the national masters 100m hurdles champion also knows more than a thing or two about real estate.
In this episode of Elevate, Wayne takes Samantha through his early career working for a Melbourne-based sound company that supplied equipment to rock ‘n’ roll artists such as Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs, to his 14 years as a systems engineer for IBM.
When he bought a real estate agency 27 years ago he was new to the industry and had to hire a licensee for the two years. Since then the business has gone from strength to strength and now, with a team of 18, the Crows Nest agency is an industry leader.
Wayne prides himself on his top negotiating skills and says the best thing an agent and agency can do is invest in its people.
Wayne is the hands-on principal of Marriott Lane Real Estate. He is personally involved in selling properties, as well as attracting and leading a team of great individuals.
Download the action guide for this episode with more links and resources at https://eliteagentelevate.com
“For owners of business, the greatest management principle in the world is what gets rewarded gets done.”
Some of the topics I discussed with Wayne include:
- Wayne’s journey into real estate including the job that saw him rubbing shoulders with Aussie rock ‘n’ roll royalty.
- Buying a real estate business with no experience in the industry and making it work, including how Wayne grew his team from zero to 18.
- The E-Myth, the difference between running a business and having a job and why learning the distinction between the two lead Wayne to success.
- Wayne’s top recruitment and staff retention tips, including how recognising a job well done can make all the difference to staff turnover.
- Property management, including the pros and cons of portfolio versus pod and task-based methods.
- Wayne’s top negotiation tips, including why telling a story of losing a vendor has helped secure great results for many more (plus some great scripts and dialogues!)
- The E-Myth, by Michael Gerber
Connect with Wayne:
Connect with the Elite Agent Team:
- Twitter: @eliteagentmag
- Facebook: Elite Agent
- Website: EliteAgent.com
- Show: The Elevate Podcast
- YouTube: Elite Agent Magazine
- LinkedIn: Elite Agent Magazine
- Instagram: @eliteagentmag
- Pinterest: Elite Agent Magazine
For access to Wayne Marriott’s Action Guide click here