Welcome to our page of resources, which you can tap into in the event of a natural disaster, such as the flooding currently occurring in Victoria, parts of New South Wales, and Tasmania.
Below, we have compiled some articles and links, which we hope will assist real estate professionals before, during and after a natural disaster event.
Emergency guidance and assistance
The following is a list of emergency resources to help you prepare for a flood, monitor flood warnings and seek assistance during or immediately afterwards.
- Vic Emergency
- Victoria SES
- Flood Victoria
- Service Victoria
- Tasmania SES
- Tas Alert
- Service Tasmania
- NSW SES
- Service NSW
Best practice for property management
The following links offer guidance for property managers and property owners on what to do before, during and after a flooding event when it comes to insurance.
- How the floods impact insurance: FAQs answered!
- Sharon Fox-Slater: What to do before and after a flood
- Sharon Fox-Slater: Changing environments and insurance
- Sharon Fox-Slater: Don’t let your insurance become a disaster
Real estate industry body links
The following is a list of handy resources, including links to the NSW, Victorian, and Tasmanian real estate institutes and their Facebook pages.
- Real Estate Institute of Victoria website (REIV)
- Real Estate Institute of Victoria Facebook page
- Real Estate Institute of NSW website (REINSW)
- Real Estate Institute of NSW Facebook page
- REINSW: It’s raining, it’s pouring but you still need to fix it
- Real Estate Institute of Tasmania website (REIT)
- Real Estate Institute of Tasmania Facebook page
Below are the links to emergency news updates, provided by the national broadcaster.
- ABC Emergency Victoria (latest news updates)
- ABC Emergency NSW (latest news updates)
- ABC Emergency Tasmania (latest news updates)
Case studies from previous events
Below is our previous coverage of natural disasters and the best practice case studies of how the real estate industry responded.
Events range from the Townsville 2019 flood event through to Cyclone Debbie in 2017 and the more recent flooding in Queensland and New South Wales in early 2022.
- In too deep: How to manage property through natural disaster
- Real estate industry comes together to aid flood victims
- REIQ outlines the resources available to agents and PMs in flood-affected areas