On getting into real estate
In another life I was working in the money market for a merchant bank and looking for a new challenge or career where my results were more tangible and benefited people I dealt with more directly. I ended up turning a keen interest and hobby in real estate into a career.
The happiest moment in my career
1. The day I opened my first office, whilst in my 20s
2. Being inducted into the Australian and International RE/MAX Hall of Fame
3. The day my daughter started working in my office
The most memorable moment
The most memorable property I sold was a whole block of units in North Manly in one line to a developer in my first year in real estate. The developer refurbished those units and gave them back to me to sell. I couldn’t believe it when I sold all 12 units in a matter of weeks. My love affair with real estate had just commenced.
Best advice he’s received
Be yourself – not a copy of someone else.
The biggest challenges I believe are:
1. Housing affordability for current and future generations, which has a direct correlation with housing supply and demand.
2. Creating a credible and fair tax system that works for all segments of the real estate market. This will involve issues like tax concessions (ie: greater stamp duty discounts and/or removal) in order to remove the barriers to market entry for young couples and families. This issue also covers the effects of tampering with negative gearing and the impact that will have on mum and dad investors and their respective retirement plans.
Change for good?
A higher standard of educational requirements to enter the real estate industry and for it to be recognised as the serious profession it is.
‘Elite’ agent means
An elite agent is one who holds themselves to the highest levels of service, performance, professionalism and accountability. An elite agent is a trusted consultant not a salesperson.
An elite agent protects the interest of property owners, whilst delivering the highest results, yet can provide a positive experience to purchasers and all other participants in a real estate transaction.
#WeAreRealEstate is a series of short interviews with 140 agents all over Australia, exploring the industry’s hopes, concerns, future challenges, and what it really means to be an Elite Agent.