Damien Cooley is without doubt one of Australia’s most recognised and booked property auctioneers.
Starting in real estate 20 years ago in property management, Damien is now relied upon by his many blue chip clients for his intimate style, professionalism and unsurpassed calibre of service.
Many of you have probably seen Damien working his magic on shows like The Block, which he has won a number of times. He has also regularly performs a number of charity Auctions including the upcoming House for Life.
One of Damien’s true superpowers as an auctioneer is his ability to read a crowd and understand crowd and understand where the value really is.
In this episode of the podcast, we take a deep dive into Damien’s world – why accepting $100 bid is sometimes as good as $1500, why Damien is still so involved in charity work, plus various auction strategies he’s using in this current market.
It’s the ability to be able to read a buyer, read a crowd. Know when I can connect and convince someone to bid fifty thousand dollars instead of $5,000 – and being able to press that button when I need to. But it’s also being able to pull back and give somebody time when you need to. That’s intuition – it comes with experience…
– Damien Cooley
Some topics we discussed include:
- Damien’s steep learning curve in real estate following a hailstorm in 1999
- The unique position of Auctioneers in the market – what they see
- What Damien feels about the market conditions right now – with volumes being (mostly) down
- What to say to vendors who are waiting until August/September to go on the market
- Where auctioneers can really add value to the transaction, both before the auction day and on auction day
- How Damien gets buyers to bid – even when it looks like they may not
- The ‘Theatre’ of Auction
- Differing auction strategies (including vendor bids) based on how many bidders are registered (some, one, none!)
- Using the reserve as a negotiation tool
- What it’s like on The Block, and how Damien prepares for The Block, how it’s different to a ‘normal’ Saturday auction
- The human ‘tells’ that auctioneers look for, and how that might impact the last few bids
- The properties most suited to auction and why
- The lack of female (!) auctioneers and why it’s such a male dominated field
- The future of auctions and online auctioneering platforms
- The importance of giving back.
Host: Samantha McLean, Elite Agent
- Become an Elite Member (with added benefits!)
Podcast Guest: Damien Cooley
References & links mentioned:
- Youth off the Streets – Real Estate Sleep Out
- The House for Life Charity Program
- The Block
- Briannan Davis
- Auction Now
Subscribe and Review The Elevate Podcast
Thanks for tuning in to this week’s episode of the Elevate Podcast! If the information shared in these weekly conversations and interviews have helped you in your business journey, please head over to iTunes, subscribe to the show, and leave us an honest review. Your reviews and feedback will not only help us continue to deliver great, helpful content, but it will also allow us to help even more business owners and real estate professionals just like you!