Halloween is here and that means Vault Interiors property stylist and interior designer Justine Wilson has some top tips to create a spooky vibe in your home, with a focus on the ‘Witches Kitchen’ this year.
Justine says she loves Halloween as it signifies the start of the festive season and it’s another opportunity to create a ‘wow’ moment in your home.
“I even use my Christmas trees and decorate them in Halloween theme and then just swap them over for Christmas,” she says.
“This year I have chosen to create a wow factor in my Halloween table scape, by using a witches kitchen feel, it’s not only magical, but looks great as grouping things en masse creates visual interest and visual layers.”
Justine Wilson’s 2022 Halloween Styling Tips:
- Witches Kitchen. This look can be easily achieved with grouping potion bottles. You can easily make your own with simple labels and odd bottles or jars, then stack at varying heights on top of old or vintage books, then add some candle sticks, and a mix of faux floral in icy or muted tones. To create a woodland feel, add some creepy critters like spiders, crows and skeletons… all fit for a witch!
- Black and gold. These always make for wonderful Halloween accessory accents. Think of tarnished brass, muted golds or even mixed metallics. When you introduce fairy lights or led candlelight it reflects beautifully on the black for a perfect Halloween display.
- Skeletons. Now we’re getting really spooky and skeletons can transform any room. There are many human-size, posable ones available and they make decorating easy.
- Decorate your Christmas tree! To achieve a Halloween look use cobwebs, spiders and skulls for the ornaments and simple black feathers give the tree a perfect witchy vibe.
- Jazz up your birdcage if you have one! Simply add paper bats, spooky spider web and some some faux pumpkins. It’s a great way to decorate a bland hallway.
- Create a Halloween charcuterie board. What’s a Halloween party without snacks? For all the fun themed snacks to take your party to the next level, use sprinkles and Halloween coloured treats for the best affect.
- Jacko laterns! Use a mix of inexpensive plastic ones from Kmart and party shops. When they adorn a stairwell or pathway and are grouped en masse, they create a fun moment that screams Halloween.